[DML] Re: Removing Rusty Nuts

You're more than welcome to look under my car: 4 factory original
rusty studs still intact in the manifolds. Soaked the nuts for a week
or so with penetrating oil, zapped them with the plumbers torch, then
removed them WITHOUT a cheater (isn't room).

Rich Acuti is the proud new owner of my gutted catalytic converter,
also with 4 intact factory original rusty studs. Ask him.

I think most people mess up removing rusty hardware:
- Not using enough penetrating oil (we're talking days of soaking)
- Using WD-40 instead of real penetrating oil
- Not using heat
- Using too long of a handle
- Rushing the procedure

Another alternative is nut splitters. Used one on my Renault block to
break off the manifold to head nuts. Didn't loose a single stud. Need
to shoot up a roll of film so perhaps I'll post pics to #5939's photo
album soon.

Remember: we're talking about steel on steel here, not steel into
aluminum. Electrolysis isn't the problem. If the threads themselves
haven't deteriorated, they're just blocked.

Once the nuts are off, only a mad man would replace them with carbon
steel again. My whole dual exhaust is stainless except for the
manifolds, studs (not nuts or washers), and mufflers themselves
(couldn't find stainless ones small enough).

Bill Robertson