[DML] Re: Clutch pedal pressures

No specific data, but several observations from having worked on a
bunch of them..

I've run into cars (including mine) where the pressure was much
higher. This seemed to relate to lack of grease at the clutch fork
pivot ball, and lack of grease on the throwout bearing. If you have a
very low mileage car with an excessively stiff clutch this is
probably the issue.

Many modern cars have a "helper spring" on the clutch pedal itself
that gives an "over centering" assist after the pedal is pushed about
1/3 of the way down. I removed such a spring on my kid's Subaru
because it made the car difficult to launch smoothly due masking the
feel of the clutch engaging. The clutch is notably stiffer but much
easier to modulate. Still very light though compared to the DMC. I've
seen the same spring setup on most Japanese cars and BMWs.

Dave Swingle

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, tobyp@xxxx wrote:
> Hello List - We received an inquiry from somebody regarding the
> appropriate amount of force that should be necessary to push in the
> DeLorean clutch pedal.  Anyone who has driven a long parade in a
> DeLorean knows that the effort is fairly high as compared to
> a "modern" car.  Well, in order to give this person a definitive
> answer, I actually measured my pedal.  Using some highly
specialized
> equipment (bungee cord, 4X4 block of wood, and a digital bathroom
> scale) I have the following results for Winged1.  This car has a
> several years old Centerforce clutch setup (with the
counterweights,