[DML] Re: I need some ammunition

[Moderator Note: Please, let's not start any threads discussing Fieros or any other non-DeLorean cars.  - moderator Mike Substelny]

Tom,

I've owned Fieros for over a decade. An '85 GT was my first. I briefly
owned an '85 SE while replacing the engine in the GT, I then sold the
SE to a friend. I then bought an '86 SE with a supercharged 3.8, which
I am now selling (http://www.ryanwright.com/fiero/86se3800sc/forsale/)
as I haven't driven it since I bought my DeLorean a couple of months ago.

If you have any specific questions about Fieros, ask me. I am darn
near an expert on them. I've replaced anything and everything. My
advice? Stay away from the 4 bangers. The 2.8 V6 is the only way to
go. Otherwise, have fun. They are great little cars, they're cheap to
buy, cheap to maintain, and if you get one that hasn't been abused it
shouldn't require very much work.

On the Dad thing: How old are you? I ask, because you must be 16 or
17. Old enough to drive, not old enough to own a car. If you're 18 or
above, then do whatever you like. Your parents no longer have a say in
what you drive. I'm not telling you to be disrespectful, but respect
is a two way street. A parent can and should voice his concern to his
adult son, but you are not obligated to get his blessing.

If you're not 18, you can try to convince him, or you can wait a year
or two and then buy whatever you please. As for convincing, I don't
know how you should do that. You know your father, I don't. When I
told my Dad I wanted a sports car (my first was a Toyota MR-2), he
rolled his eyes and said, "You sure you don't want a station wagon?
I'll spring for the mattress and the condoms. It's really hard to get
laid in a sports car, you know." Yeah... Good Old Dad. I'd try an
honest approach if I were you: "Dad, I really want this car. I know
you don't approve, but it's my dream to drive a nice sports car like
that. I will take care of it and I promise not to get myself into
trouble with it."

My advice? Buy a Fiero. Preferably one with a V6. Then learn to
maintain it. There are COUNTLESS Fiero forums available - www.fiero.nl
is one of my favorites. The car is easier to work on compared to a
DeLorean and the community is really focused on DIY stuff. This is how
I learned to work on cars - by fixing my Fiero. You'll find step by
step, detailed instructions on anything and everything. As the years
go by you'll replace a lot of stuff, and you'll know if you're really
cut out to own a car like this. Do you have the time and patience to
do it? I spent 4 hours under my car the other night replacing every
coolant hose after the second one burst in as many days. I spent
another hour scrubbing the dirt and grime out of my hair. And I have a
nice garage, well stocked with tools, to work in. Are you willing to
buy the tools, the parts, and do the work?

Quite frankly, if I were 16 and I had $15k in a savings account, I
would have blown it all on the DeLorean. I also would have torn it up
driving it hard, repaired it wrong, and never would have had the money
to replace some of these parts. Not to mention I'd have had no idea
how to pull off any of the repairs I've had to make to my D. But
you're not me. You have to decide what you want to do.

Oh, and once you get your sports car? No speeding, no racing, no
screwing around. I mean it. I went through half a dozen tickets and
several thousands of dollars in fines and attorney's fees in less than
2 years. Not cool to have your own criminal law attorney on retainer
at 17 (busted for racing: It's a criminal offense. Thank God he got me
off the hook - at considerable cost, but when you're facing 90 days in
jail for what seemed like innocent fun, you'd sell your soul to get
out of it), not to mention having all of the local cops know you on a
first name basis because they've all pulled you over for speeding at
one time or another. They used to call my PARENTS and "tattle" on me
when they'd give me yet another warning. I didn't live in a small
town, either: Population of over 150,000, so it's not like Small Town
Arkansas here. I took a girl out on a blind date once. Cute girl, too.
Group of cops at the restaurant we ate at had a lot of fun with me
that night, smiling, waving, making car and siren noises at us...

When Billy Bob pulls up next to you in his Mustang and revvs the
engine, you smile, watch him tear his tires up, and accelerate like a
little old lady out for a stroll. When he gives you crap at school
about racing your "pansy car", tell him he's right: The car is gutless
and you're not going to race because you know you'll lose, so would he
please quit asking. Even if you're sure you'd kick his tail, let him
feel superior.

Eh, enough lecturing. Just keep your nose clean, and let us know what
you decide to do. And don't buy a $12,000 DeLorean unless you're
willing to sink another $5,000 into it the very next day. For that
matter don't buy a DeLorean unless you have several thousand leftover
to fix the little things the previous owner neglected. Fieros can be
fixed quickly and cheaply if you do it yourself. DeLoreans, not so much.

-Ryan