[DML] Re: Third Party A/C Techs

If you are having problems with systems that are not tight you should
improve your methods so that you can make them tight. On most cars you
can do a pretty good job of it. Certain compressors are known for
leaky shaft seals but they can be rebuilt with better ones. A Delorean
can be made very tight. There are many that have not needed to be
recharged and are still running after 20 years. Mine is tight but I
blew the discharge hose a couple of years ago so it had to be replaced
and recharged. The only things I replaced at the time was the hose and
the "O" rings for it, and the service valve cores on the compressor
(just good practice) and of course the R-12 and the refrigerent oil.
Go buy the leak detector solution sold in the A/C shops and use it
liberally over every connection. I agree that a fitting that is not
leaking is best left alone. If you cannot see any leaks then you
probably need a shaft seal. In the wintertime when you don't use the
car you should turn the compressor by hand once in awhile to lubricate
the seal. If you continually add refrigerent you MUST also add oil or
you will burn up the compressor eventually. Leaking refrigerent
carries out some oil with it so it MUST be replaced. If you have the
equipment you can add leak detector to find hard to locate leaks. When
using the leak detector solution (the soap), test the low side with
the system not running and test the high side with the system running
so as to test at the highest possible pressures. Go slowly, a small
leak takes time to make bubbles. I don't like the fancy (expensive)
electronic leak detectors on cars, there is usually too much air
movement for them to work right. They don't like working in a wind
tunnel! You can also make your own leak detector solution with soap
(dishwashing liquid) and glycerin but I prefer to buy it, it seems to
work better and easier and comes in a bottle with a nice brush. Be
careful with the leak detector solution that you add to the system
internaly. Too much can interfere with the operation of the system and
if you spill it, it stains and is hard to remove (especally from skin!).
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757