[DML] Re: Bill Robertson is a genius! AC retrofit success!

[DML] Re: Bill Robertson is a genius! AC retrofit success!

Actually I'm just an old man in search of some cool air.

Using the engine to vacuum down an A/C system is controversial, so
don't expect everyone to share your enthusiasm. Only pulls 17 inches,
versus 29-30 inches done "properly". But it does work. Evacuates the
moisture, which is what matters. Of course if I had a stand alone
vacuum pump I'd use it instead.

Note that I also use the compressor itself to force flushing fluid
through -- don't have a stand alone air compressor either.

Which oil did you add to your new compressor? (Assuming Hervey sells
them dry) Anyone converting a system without draining an existing
compressor should top it off with Ester oil as needed, not PAG. Ester
oil is compatible with remaining mineral oil from the the R12.

Unless your problem was at the compressor (change those O rings
whenever the hoses are off!) don't expect the system to suddenly NOT
leak now. If it was leaking somewhere else before, it will continue to
leak. As long as you top it off before pressure drops below the
atmosphere, you won't need to vacuum it down again. Don't overfill it
however. A properly charged system holds steady slightly above 30 PSI
on the low side, even as compressor RPMs increase.

I am leery of monkeying with other fittings. Often are rusted
together. Is too easy to rip a pipe out of the condensor or
evaporator. Would rather buy more freon than a new component.

Don't think I quoted the Autozone part numbers I used to make a R134
charging hose to vacuum hose adapter:
- Part #323080   M12 male to 1/8" NPT female
- Part #323317   1/8" NPT male to 1/4" hose barb
Used 1/4" hose because of all the Lincolns. You could just as easily
substitute a 1/8" NPT to 3/16" hose barb.

One of the challenges of owning a vintage automobile is trying to find
outside mechanics to work on it. Most have more than enough business
from cars they know better, and thus aren't interested. Owning a
vintage "exotic" car like the DeLorean only exacerbates the problem.

That's why DeLorean owners must share information and ideas with each
other, and help one another whenever possible.

Bill Robertson

>--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Palatinus, Joe" <jopalatinus@xxxx>
wrote:
> I finally decided to go for R 134a retrofitting.  I believe I had a
very slow leak in the system while running R12 (shops could not detect
one) but my compressor would begin to cycle rapidly and cooling would
be unacceptable.  I bought a new compressor from John Hervey at PF,
and I followed Bill Robertson's retrofititng instructions on the DMC
NEWs tech page.  They are simply brilliant, especially for those of us
with out  vaccuum pump capable of pulling a good vaccuum on the
system.