[DML] Test Track (was "Eurofest 2006")

Hi DMLers and DOCers,

With the recent rumours of redevelopment of the Test Track (on DML, DOC, etc) I took the opportunity this week, while in N.Ireland, to meet with the Belfast Planning Department and ask about the Tracks status.

They assured me that no plans had been submitted with them for approval, which would be a requirement before redevelopment. They are presently undertaking a Study to amend their Local Zoning Plans.

As the Factory seems to be still "Public Land" I suggested they could zone the Test Track area as a site of "Industrial Heritage" worthy of conservation. I flicked through a PowerPoint presentation suggesting opportunities we saw for future use of this area (Tourism, N.Ireland Classic Car Shows, Local Public Recreation Park, Wildlife habit, and occasional use of Test Track for DeLorean days!).

They were very open, co-operative, and suggested ways in which our views could be submitted to Government to preserve the Track for future generations. It is essential our local Owners keep an eye on the newspapers and Plan.Depts web-site for any possible development encroachment.

I'm looking forward to our "Mini-Meet" at a Classic Car Show in N.Ireland on Saturday, before I zap back to HongKong.

Cheers,      IAN FOSTER