[DML] Re: Raffles, Entertainment, etc.

I can add my two cents, not because I was there (though I longed to be), but
because I plan events (weddings, parties, etc), and the flow and timing are
very important for such things.  Not a slight against Ken or anyone else who
had a hand in the planning, as things can easily spiral out of control if
you're not familiar with the chaos surrounding such parties.

1) If you're at a hotel, you can usually get their in-house caterers to take
care of you; Consider that they are there for every wedding, bar mitzfah,
and company X-mas party that comes through, and they have to please
everybody if they want to stay in business.  Sometimes a staff will have an
off-night, but if the food is "cafeteria grade", somebody did something
wrong.

2) Dinner music is best provided by either a DJ or inobtrusive live act,
such as a lone pianist, violinst, or jazz trio.  I'm sure that there's
somebody on the list who knows somebody who is qualified to perform in this
capacity.

3) If you want live entertainment, hire a comic.... For less than a few
hundred $$ you can find a professional comedian who will come in and do a
30-45 minute set.  (A good booking agent will be able to supply you with
someone suitable, so that you don't end up with the next "Diceman" for such
a varied crowd).  Maybe there's a skilled, pro comic on the list who's also
a fan of the DeLorean?  Stranger things have happened.
(Better still, see if you can find out what Charlie Fleischer would charge?)

4) Raffles... if you have  DJ performing dinner music, you can have him turn
it down during spaces to give away prizes.... if there are a lot of them,
they should be done one right after the other... if someone doesn't come up
for their prize after the number has been called 3 times, go to the next
one, or put that one aside.  If there are simply too many prizes, it might
be better to have fewer and better prizes.

5) Speaking during dinner - Either have the speaker come to the podium, or
if it's too crowded/difficult, get a cordless microphone and have the MC
carry it to the person asked to speak, then collect it from them for the
next person who must speak.

That's all I can think of, but what's been described here sounds a lot like
a couple of X-mas parties I've DJ'd.  Before I was helping plan them, I was
just a human jukebox, following the instructions of people who weren't that
experienced (no slight against them, it's a big deal that many organizations
just drop on the lap of some people).

Mark in Ontario, eh!
 (DehLorean!)