[DML] Re: How do you Top Pigeon Forge

  The idea of cars in chronological order is a good idea.  The one aspect of the shows that I am not a fan of is that the cars are never parked in any type of order except for maybe the specialty cars or feature cars.  I realize that it is difficult especially with an indoor show.  But in Cleveland or Memphis it would have been nice to see them in chronological order or better yet in groups of mileage, as the categories are marked out for awards.  Again I realize it takes some planning.  For the next show I would like to see the cars parked in groups such as 0-10k, 10k-20k, and so on based on mileage as the awards are laid out.  You can always add a request for specialty awards judging such as shift knob and best stereo.  I enjoyed the Pigeon Forge show and the area itself.  However one area I would like to see improved is the judging.  Its not that the judges are not capable, but rather it is almost impossible to judge a class of cars and rank them, when you jump around, and do not have them together for a final review, after you have made your calculations as a judge.  If they are parks in a designated group, then you can walk past them to check the final calculations.
  I say this because we are talking about DeLorean judging specifically and in Pigeon Forge I saw some of the best DeLoreans I have seen at any show so far.  Not to mention the judging is of a single make of car, with hardly any factory differences, so that makes it even more important to have them in a group for comparison.  I think it would be much better to judge the cars after they are all parked for the show.  Having them parked together in classes according to mileage (if that is how the majority of awards is to be given out as in the past),  allows for owners and spectators to see how the cars in a certain class compare to each other.  No matter how good a judges score sheet is, going back and forth between different classes without a final walk through, or having the cars together,  makes it very difficult to really separate the condition of cars in a competing group.
  Again let me say I think the show was enjoyable as always.  Having the cars together in whatever groups they are to be categorized in is the only area of the show that I think should definitely be modified for the next event.  Its not a matter of receiving awards.  I am sure we all have a room full of awards from various shows we have attended.  I think most owners put a lot of time and effort cleaning their cars for the show portion because it is something they enjoy.  For the many hours spent preparing the cars, I think it would better suit the judges, owners, and spectators, to see the cars of designated classes together, as in most every other car show or national event.  Especially those national events for a certain marque.  I think the DeLorean Car Show is the most significant national event for our cars, and should follow along some of the lines as other national events such as those for other marques.  Again just my two cents as Josh requested to improve an already great event.
Gary Gore
<<In a message dated 6/28/2004 2:51:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time,