[DML] RE: Backlit Instrument Cluster (was: DMCH new Interior)

[DML] RE: Backlit Instrument Cluster (was: DMCH new Interior)

Hi James,

My idea was simply to find out how many owners who would really like an original looking BACKLIT instrument cluster and how much they'd be willing to pay for it.

I know there are LOTS of original clusters left...and I also know that there are other parts that are more crucial to the "survival" of the car (torsion bars probably being the most important item to remanufacture) But all that wasn't my point.

I was thinking of something like this, a vendor says "Hey, we can make them - but they will cost so and so much $$$, we need to sell so and so many,  and you will have to pay in advance. Now, who's interested? "

If this was done, I'm sure a lot would be willing to pay extra just to get a more modern instrument panel but at the same time preserve that original look. Of course, if the interest wasn't big enough - drop it.

I seem to remember that the Toby TABS started that way, correct me if I'm wrong.
Didn't people sign up for the first batch of TABS before they were made?

I'm aware of the crucial  "supply and demand" question...But reproductions can be made profitable by having people pay for it in advance, and then make the part. A long-established trusted vendor should have no problems in having people pay in advance. Such a process would speed up the making of reproductions provided a vast majority wants the part. Just a tip...

Best wishes
Stian Birkeland
VIN # 06759
www.delorean.no