[DML] Re: Steering Column bushing replacement

[DML] Re: Steering Column bushing replacement

I didn't remove the steering column to install a bushing. I
purchased one from DeLorean Parts Northwest because theirs appeared
to be the easiest to install using my method and cut it into halves
with my Dremel. (the lip that goes to the outside is smaller than
Special T's for example but, I suspect special T's will last forever
but also require steering column removal or need to be cut into
thirds). I removed the inspection covers for the master cylinder and
fuel tank filler. I loosened the steering shaft on the steering rack
so the shaft would slide up. The column inside the car will retract
about an inch and one-half, or more, away from the metal shield
where the bushing is to be installed. This will provide plenty of
room to install half the bushing on the bottom, rotate that half up
to the top and install the other half with a small wooden driver - I
had a small hammer handle I used. After installation I slid the
steering shaft back down the rack spline moving the steering column
down to about a quarter to eighth inch from the bushing inside the
car, tightened everything back. It has worked great - the drive to
PF from NJ didn't loosen it at all. I checked for any problems or
obvious wear issues when I returned - so far none.

When I did this last install, in the spring of 2004, I removed the
last one I did some years ago by nearly the same method and that
bushing was not nearly the same quality of bushing. I found the
change was not necessary. There was no obvious wear. (1998 I think?)

Harold McElraft ? 3354