Re: [DML] Legend Turbo question

I'm not an engineer on the Legend motor, so I have no idea what makes
it so special. However, when reading up on turbo charging, I came
across a small article talking about Fred Dellis, and some earlier
work he did with Porsches.

I won't bother going into the aspects of turbo charging, but basicly
Dellis seems to have found a really unique, and economical way to take
a regular turbo charger, and incorporate Variable geometry into it.
Sequencial chargers are expensive, and add to the weight of the car.
Traditional VGTs have a high failure rate because the vanes can coke
up too easily, and get stuck. Garret (I beleieve) now has a new
charger out that uses sliding vanes, rather than rotating. This way
they clean themselves automaticly.

Fred Dellis had a design called "Bias Control". How the feedback
system on the car works, I don't have any information on (it somehow
measures both exhaust pressure, and intank vacuum). But basicly, he
incorporated the wastegate as a functional part of the turbo, rather
than just being a safety device. From idle, the the wastegate is wide
open. This lets the exhaust gases flow out, with as litttle resistance
as possible, allowing the car to take off with quickly, with no lag.
Some of the exhaust gasses are routed thru turbine, and begin to spool
it up. As the turbine speeds up, the wastegate begins to close. Boost
is acheived in the same amount of time, but the lag is eliminated. I'm
pretty sure that this also has some sort of control over ingition as
well, and requires a few custom components such as manifolds, fuel
distributors, etc. From what I can tell, this was all a mechanical
based feedback system, rather than electronic. I've only run across
this artice once, and only a small mention of someone finding an old
924 with this system installed.

Like I say, I've no idea if this is the same system that was installed
on the DeLorean prototypes, but it is definetly a start, and the only
thing that I ever seen simular. Same case, Dellis was pretty quiet
about exactly how the Bias Control worked. I'll see if I can find the
website which featured the article. If not, I'm sure it's listed on
the InfoTrac database.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"