[DML] Why Project Delorean wasn't at Pigeon Forge (long)

[DML] Why Project Delorean wasn't at Pigeon Forge (long)

To anyone who's been following my project on
projectdelorean.com, if you were at the show, you may
have noticed that 02650 wasn't there.  : (  (I can't
begin to tell you how disappointed I was not to be
able to bring it.)  I'd like to fill you in on exactly
why it wasn't there.

For the past two months, I'd been scrambling to get
the car ready for the show.  Throughout May, I'd been
working until at least midnight 6 days a week to get
it ready.  I used a spreadsheet detailing every task
to be completed that helped keep me organized and
working in a logical sequence, but estimating the time
these tasks would take would be one of my downfalls.
As of the end of April, the "plan" was to have the D
FINISHED.  I'd registerred for the show, all three
days, reserved my room and a u-haul rental trailer.
Hmmm.  Just a couple of weeks into May, it became
evident that totally completing the D would not be
possible.  So I revised my goals, by eliminating the
painting.  The goal was to have the new interior
complete and body complete but just in primer.  Parts
were being delivered nearly every day, but the
bodywork was taking much longer than anticipated.  By
the end of May, it became obvious that there was no
way to get the interior completed.  So again the goal
was revised, this time eliminating the interior so
that I would just finish the body, in primer and take
that to the show.  By now, I'm running on an average
of 3-4 hours sleep.  (Several times, I showered before
bed and when I got up for work the bathroom floor had
not even dried.)

After hearing how much I'd been scrambling, my father
and brother offered to lend a hand.  They each drove a
half hour every day to meet me when I got home from
work to help with the project.  Without their help, I
never would have had a prayer.  (Thanks guys!)

So now we're into June.  Essentially two weeks left
and there still isn't a completed body panel on the
car.  That's not to say that things weren't getting
done, but sequencing here is very important to prevent
either scratching a finished part or just having to
take parts on and off unnecessarily.  As of 1 week
before the show, I had the quarter panels mounted, no
windshield, no fascias and the hood/fenders still
needed to be completed.

Flash to Wednesday, June 16th.  Windshield's in,
fenders and hood are on.  Front and rear fascias are
not yet finished.  (One of the main items that always
drove the schedule was waiting for fiberglass to cure.
 Once a fiberglass part was layed up, it wasn't until
the next day until you could sand and finish it.)  I'd
have to finish the bodywork on the remaining parts
Wednesday night, then primer and install them Thursday
morning.  That part went as planned, but the few
remaining details held me up until about noon for
final assembly.  Finally, it was done!

I went to pickup the trailer and brought it back to
the house.  As we backed the D out of the garage, my
brother began jumping up and down and waving his arms
(not in a good way).  As I turned the wheel, the front
tire was seriously rubbing the fender.  Back into the
garage with it and in no more that 15 mins we had both
front shocks out and made some ride height
adjustments.  Backing it out a second time, same
problem.  Back into the garage, front wheels off and
this time we decided that rolling the fender lips
would be all we needed for now.  That done, we backed
the car out a third time.  (By now, it's about 5:30PM
and we had planned on leaving at about 8:00 AM)  This
time we made it out of the garage and prepared to
drive up onto the trailer when something just didn't
look right.  The trailer didn't look wide enough.  A
couple of measurements with the tape measure confirmed
my fears.  The u-haul trailer wasn't wide enough to
accomodate the now wider 02650.  At first it looked
like we just needed to get over the channels that the
tires ride in and we considered blockin up with wood,
but then my brother pointed out the HUGE ( 6 inches
tall) taillights that were WELDED (would have removed
if bolted) onto the ends of the channels.  There was
no way to get over them.  : (  This trailer simply
would not work.  We evaluated our options and began
calling around to see if we could get a tow-dolly
instead, but at almost 6:00 PM., we couldn't get an
answer anywhere.  Devastating.

So there I stood.  Exhausted, physically and
emotionally.  With a Delorean that was ready to go,
but no way to get it to the show.  Months of work and
planning, not only by me, but also my father and
brother have come down to a few inches of clearance.
(That's not to mention the patience of my wife who
practically hadn't seen me in two months.)  Finally I
had to make the call.  This wasn't going to be 02650's
day.  We'd take some pictures, then put her away,
return the trailer, get a good night's sleep (first in
a long time) and leave for the show early Friday
morning.  It wouldn't be the same without having my D
there, but there were too many friends I'd made on the
DML that I'd finally have a chance to meet.  After
all, it really is the PEOPLE that make this Delorean
community so rewarding to be a part of.  I had a great
time.  Ken, I can't begin to tell you how much we
enjoyed the show and how well you're team did at
pulling everything together.  Thank You!

As for Project Delorean, well it's not done yet!  It
obviously won't take two years to complete, so now
I'll have more time to get the website updated, (There
are tons of details and snags we hit that I haven't
mentioned here, but will cover on the site.)

Counting down until Chicago,

=====
Steve

VIN 2650 ("Project Delorean")