[DML] Re: Sandpaper

Yes, it can be quite tiring to redo the finish on the entire car.
Waxing is allot easier, since you move your arms in a cirular motion,
which is much more natural, as compared to stiffining up your muscles,
when trying to rub the panels in a straight line to keep with the
grain.

However, there is somthing here that I forgot to ask you. Why are you
sanding the panels on your car? The only time that you need to sand
the stainless is if you have a deep enought scratch, or blemish of
some sort that won't come out with the blending pad by itself.
Otherwise, if you start hitting those panels with diffferent grits of
sandpaper, you will indeed change the appearance of the sheen, and
make your car look different.

Myself, I don't use Windex, just old fashioned car wash soap WITHOUT
any wax, or protectant additives. But I do take an extra step that
I've never heard of anyone else here on the list mention. I strip the
stainless steel. If you need to remove any soap scum/wax/other
deposits stuck in the stainless, a small spray bottle of Simple Green,
and some rags works very well. Hard water stains can easily be
stripped off with som SS Polish. These steps will work very well for
cleaning/stripping the stainless. You really do need to consider doing
this every so often. Ever been in a store where they polish the
floors, but never strip them? It's like clearcoating dirt. You
preserve the mess underneath, and kill the shine. But other than
repairing scratches, this is the ONLY time that I hit the finish on
the car with a blending pad.

Now, if you want a bright shine, without attracting dust, and keeping
finger print to a minimum, there is a way. A dirty bath towel. I have
found that by drying my car with a dirty towel, it ends up depositing
my own body oils onto the car. This gives is a good shine, and any
finger prints that you may encounter don't show up as well, since the
oil from peoples' fingers blends in with the body oil that is already
on the car. Rather than clashing with bare metal, or disturbing
oil/polish on the surface, which makes things more obvious.

Kinda gross I know, but it works quite well at keeping the longevity
of the car's shine. Plus, it makes it easier to clean, rather than
just bare metal. Dirt comes off easier.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Ancira Internet Department"