[DML] Re: Sandpaper

You use the blending pad AFTER you use the sandpaper. Use the
Sandpaper to take out any scratches. I use #80 but you may want to go
with #120 till you get experience staying straight with the grain.
Once you have the surface scratched (grained) with the sandpaper you
go over it with the blending pad to smooth it out. You will notice
right after you do this the surface will seem too shiny. It takes
several days for the shine to go away. My theory is the surface
oxidizes slightly when in contact with the air. You will also find
that once you do one panel you will want to go on to the next and then
the next until you have done the whole car. This way the whole car
looks even. I guess it is a good thing that the car is small! If the
car isn't very scratched up and you can do 1 panel a day it won't take
very long. I also recomend you place masking tape on the facia and the
rub strip so you don't damage them with the sandpaper or blending pad.
You can also place a strip of masking tape on the panel as a guide to
keep you straight with the grain. You MUST go straight!!!. It is a
natural tendancy to curve as you reach the ends of your strokes so you
have to take extra care to go straight. Some people use a cleaner with
the blending pad. I find it works either way, with or without. I
prefer to do it "dry". I think it is faster and less messy. Unless you
have deep scratches, creases, or dents, you can make the panels look
like brand new! Stay away from the glass and Keep the pressure light
and even on the hood.
Use the cleaner after you are all done to remove all the black dust.
Do not wax. For a quick clean-up in between I use windex for dirt and
fingerprints.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Ancira Internet Department"