[DML] Tactical Communication in Large Formation Assault Operations--OpOr

[DML] Tactical Communication in Large Formation Assault Operations--OpOrd PigForge

Hi List!

My two cents on traveling in groups to Pigeon Forge:

Carry Walkabout-type walkie-talkies for the road.  (Almost all brands
can talk to each other, but watch the sub-frequencies--the cheapies
can't do these.)

Why?

It's easier to pick up joiners along the way without stopping.

Your driving will be far more organized, safer, and your blood
pressure will thank you.

Instructions and distress calls are instantly heard by everyone.
(Much easier than cell-phones, unless you have one continuous
humungous conference call and stock in the phone company, I suppose.)

Radio groups can quickly degenerate into a hairball if everybody
starts gabbing, so some airwave protocol is useful:

     **  Pick a duty pig.  They take all the calls and manage
chatter.  The DP calls for frequency changes if you get
interference.

     **  A freq list is heaven-sent if you become a lost duckie.

     **  When you call, first state the name of the person you're
calling and then state your name; avoid hurtling over the cliff of
confusion.

     **  Push the mike button one second before you talk, and don't
let go till you're done!  (The neighborhood kids often trip on this
one when attempting covert super-soaker operations, much to my
advantage.  All I have to do is listen for the What-Whats and point
the garden hose at the noise.)

     **  Two people cannot talk at once.  Just think of passing
messages through a tube when using radio and all will become clear.

          **  Your mother told you not to interrupt.  Good advice,
unless it's immoral, illegal, or dangerous.

See ya at PF.

--Ray
  10693 and counting.