Re: [DML] The PRV-6 to Northstar Transfer

Re: [DML] The PRV-6 to Northstar Transfer

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Hank" <henry@xxxx> wrote:
<SNIP>
> And it's simply not a "black and white" or "purists versus modders"
issue - there are many shades of gray in there as well.  I'm no
"purist", but I am keeping my car stock so it maintains it's value
if/when it comes time to sell it.
<SNIP>

You are dead-on with this statement, Hank. This isn't one camp of
people versus another. When it comes to wrenching and modding, there
has always been one statement that rings true; "Speed is just a
question of money. How fast can you go?" Well, for me it's not
question of how fast I want to go, but how far. It doesn't matter why
you decided to get a DeLorean. It doesn't even matter why you all
choose to keep it. None of that defines whom any of you are, nor
justifies why you either modify your car, or why you choose not to.
Your actions do not do not need justification to anyone but yourself.
Not because the car "needs to have enough power to match it's good
looks". YOU want it to go faster. And not modding a car doesn't have
to have a damn thing to do with preserving it "for the marquee", or to
"retain it's value/desireability when it comes time to sell it." It's
simply a case of you no changing anything because you're perfectly
happy with the way it is.

It's when you lie to yourselves by creating these self justifications
that you will begin to become unhappy with your car. If the peppyness
of the motor thru those long country drives makes you happy, then
don't swap a motor because you feel you have to beat every damn fool
you run across at the stoplight. And if ripping out that archaic
stereo to get a better driving experience is gonna make things even
more fufilling, the to hell with originality! Don't make a decision
because you think you're "indebted" to this car. Do whatever you chose
to because you feel, you know that it'll make you happier!

Me? I bought a DeLorean because I wanted a worry free car. And I got
it. I never have to worry about depriciation, I never have to worry
about milage, I never have to worry about trading it in, I never have
to worry about the painted finish, I never wanted to worry about
finding technical support, or parts for this car, and pretty much
every other trivial thing that you could imagine. And you know what? I
got exactly what I wanted. Except to show off how many miles I've
racked up, the odometer might as well not even be there.

But the biggest factor was patina. UV damaged leather, and faded vinyl
may not look as pretty as their NOS couterparts, but they can
certainly feel a whole lot better to the touch. And as beaten down as
it looked, as many cobwebs were scattered underneath, and as much tree
sap and bird mess was scattered across the top, mine was the "warmest"
car that I had ever sat in. And until I experienced this, I never knew
the true meaning of the term, "over-restored". A car that has had too
many parts replaced, and too much cleaner and preservant is as cold to
the touch, as the marble in a mausoleum. And no matter how good it
looks to the eye, and no matter how high the value is on paper, if the
car doesn't "feel" right to someone, they are not going to buy it.

Now as I said before, it's not a question for me of how fast I want to
go, but how far. I too have been thinking of an engine swap, with some
considerations including long-term reliability, and price. Price of
course being judged against DeLorean replacement parts. And, this is
out of nesessity, since I may be dealing with a damaged engine in this
case. But the thought of replacing a motor because it will become
"easier to work on" is honestly absurd. We have motors that are used
in Volvo cars, and still, some Volvo dealerships are unable to perform
work, and in some cases, refuse to. Why would things magicly be any
different with a motor that is now made by a major manufacturer?

I will leave everyone considering a engine swap with this thought.
Over the years here, the most sucessful engine swaps all have one
thing in common. It's not the engine types, it's not the materials
used, or anything of that sort. It is the fact that they were
completed by the owners themselves. If you yourself cannot take on the
task of working on the motor yourself once the swap is complete, then
you are comptemplating a useless conversion. And if you cannot do the
work yourself, then the process will be a futile one. Finding a
mechanic to see such a labor/fabrication intensive job all the way
thru is not going to be easy. Any one can quote prices, but they still
need to prove their experience to you.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"