[DML] refinishing fiberglass

The fiberglass body on my D is not so great shape. The two pontoons
on the back are heavily faded chalky and have a lot of tiny cracks on
them. The trunk area is also faded and really dry (not to mention all
of the casting flaws from the factory). I was playing around with one
od the back pontoons to see if I can get it to look better. I sanded
it down to 2000grit and used a polish. Its smooth now but still has
the cracks. It looks better but since the sanding it has lost its gel
coat top. Anyone have any ideas on what to do to the fiberglass. I
was thinking about bringing the car to a fiberglass boat repair shop
and having them give it a new top coat. Has anyone else done this (or
similar)?

Jason
2256