[DML] Re: Stupid door vents

The buzzer switch on my car is disconnected. I hate that annoying
sound. Plus, it makes no sense. Why have a buzzer switch on a car
reminding you that you key is in the ignition, when you need the key
anyways to lock lock the doors? Maybe it's a bit different for those
with the two key systemm...

The air vents have a great potential to help ventalate the car. But
you've got two things to overcome. First, make sure that the flaps in
the ducting chambers have their proper vacuum to open all the way.

Second, you'll need to pull the lower trim panel on the door, and do
some serious reworking of the duct in the door. You may have to bend
and re-form it to line up with the duct on the kneepad correctly.

Next, disassble the ducting/vent assembly, and ripp all of that old,
rotten foam rubber out. Once that's done, carefully spray some
foaming insulation in between the vent assembly, and the ducting
bucket/elbow (you'd have to pull this thing apart to see what I'm
describing), and some around where the duct protrudes the door trim.

After this is complete, you should feel a more significant amount of
air
blowing out, than you had before. And if you're not sure about it,
try setting you blower motor to 4, and open a door. Place your hand
in
front of the duct, and feel how much air is blowing out. Then close
the door, and compare it to how much is actually blowing out of the
vent. The DeLorean doesn't have many things which I would consider
serious weak points in it's engineering. But for things that I do
consider along those lines, the design of the elbow duct in the door
ranks right up there with the TABs. If you do this, you'll realize
just how much air flow is lost inside of the door.

As for asthetics? The ducts protruding from the kneepads is something
that's really in the eye of the beholder. IMO, it would look awkward
with the sides just being plain. However, what I would reccomend that
if the ducts are unsightly, try spraying them down with flat black
inside, so that they are not as obvious. And as for the missing
rubber ring, there are other vehicles out there on the road that
use the same system as the DeLorean, with ducts in the doors. Check
around, and see if any match our application.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "supermattthehero" <supermatty@xxxx>
wrote:
> Alright, purists cover your ears (or eyes).
> I think I've had enough of my door vents.  For one, they put an
> unsightly hole in my door trim.  Two, they put an unsightly hole in
> my kneepads, and with an unsightly round rubber seal that
> deteriorates and is no longer available.
<SNIP>