Re: [DML] The PRV-6 to Northstar Transfer

Re: [DML] The PRV-6 to Northstar Transfer

Okay... so I've gotta ask: do you own a DeLorean? I ask because it seems everytime someone calls the DeLorean "severely underpowered" they haven't actually driven one before. Agreed the cars need more power, but in a properly tuned state they are peppy, and the PRV's flexible power band and relatively high revving nature make the car fun to drive. If you haven't driven a DeLorean before, withold your judgement until you've taken one for a spin. I've relayed this story many many times, but here it goes again. I grew up in a family of muscle car fanatics (we've owned Corvettes, Camaros, Mustangs all my life), and I was given a hard time for wanting a car with only 130 hp. But every family member of mine who had reservations about the DeLorean who has since driven mine has a completely different view of the car now. My Dad who was the biggest doubter remarks on how peppy, fun to drive, and what a great all around tourer the car is. If you own a DeLorean, disregard my preaching because I feel all opinions that can be backed are valid. :-)

Regarding the Northstar swap, there was talk by a list member in the Dallas/Forth Worth, Texas area who recently looked into doing the conversions for list members. He quoted a price of $8k, less if more members would sign up. I agree engine swaps are very tempting, but they have just as many drawbacks as they have benefits in my opinion. They are expensive, complex, and devalue your car. There are a couple of list members here who have beautifully restored cars with very nicely done swaps, yet they can't get anyone to buy their cars. Not to mention the DeLorean was not designed to handle much more than 250-300 hp. If you cross over more than those numbers you're going to have to do some additional beefing up in your car. The transmissions most notably will self destruct unless proper preparations are made (and there are multiple schools of thought on how this should be done). I'm not saying everyone should stay away from swaps, but I am saying there is a reason why the majority of us are still PRV powered, and there is only a handful of cars that are not.

Louie Golden
VIN 5252 Charlotte, NC

--- "dennydmc12" <dennydmc12@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Due to the severly underpowered PRV-6 stock engine there has been
many engine transplants that have been performed to see how well the
Delorean performs overall with that particular engine, I recently
heard that it is possible to install the 32valve northstar V8 found
in many models of the the Caddillac line up, Is there any truth to
the success of this transfer?