[DML] Re: Gas Prices (WAS: Disney)

Hey now, don't get mad at people in fuel efficient, compact cars.
They use less fuel, which means more for us! :)

Anywho, converting your car to an alternative fuel such as, CNG
(Compressed Natural Gas), LP (Liquid Propane), LPG (Liquid Petroleum
Gas), Hydrogen, etc, is indeed possible. However, the cost, and
safety aspects of it make it prohibitive.

An alternative fuel conversion isn't simple, and isn't safe on a
DeLorean. On all vehicles where you'll see this conversion done on
the internet, they all have to have some pretty fortified tanks
installed to store their fuel. And in addition, when you see these
kinds of installations, the tanks are almost always installed in the
rear of the car, beyond the 11" impact zone. This kind of safety
installation isn't viable on the DeLorean. You'd have to cut the
trunk out to install a fuel cylinder. And even then, it may not fit.
Don't even bother thinking about the rear parcel shelf either. It
isn't safe to vent into the passenger compartment. By choking, or
smoking, you run the risk of death. Using smaller cylinders instead
still doesn't address all of the safety concerns, and just means a
more expensive install.

Now on the fuel side of things, none of them present a viable future.
LP, LPG, and CNG are all still made from fossil fuels, and would
continue our dependancy on forgien oil. Infact, LP has the potential
to become as expensive as gasoline/petrol if everyone were fueling
their vehicles with it. Which is a good reason why we've not seen a
huge push for said conversions. Hydrogen gas is nothing more than a
fuel for the "Nuclear Family", it's a pipe dream. You need to break
down water to make it. And as anyone of us here in the southwest can
tell you, we can't afford to sacrifice any more water out here. If
you think lawns are thirsty, cars are no comparison. So aside from
the fact that it's pretty expensive to produce, that idea isn't going
to fly with many US states in drought condition.

Mainly, I'd keep a serious "Wait and See" attitude about and fuel
conversions. Bio-Diesel is on the rise, but still isn't a long term
solution. The really big thing that we'll see in the future will be
synthetic fuels. Specificly, the polymerization of animal waste from
aggricultural runoff. The process of turning pig waste into light
crude oil has been successful in small batches, and is being advanced
to the stage where it can both be processed on a large scale
continuous operation, and could even be advanced to the point where
full crude oil can be replicated, and refined just like natural crude.

So while fuel prices worldwide a pretty high right now, there is a
light at the end of the tunnel here. How far away is the question...

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "robert parker" <roberthparker@xxxx>