Re: [DML] Re: quick question

Bill -

> OK -- This could be a horse of different color altogether:

coolant green, perhaps?

> Did you truly boil the coolant, or was it merely spewing out of the
> overflow tube?

Oh no no no -- I wouldn't have let the engine get to the boiling point.
It just spewed.

> If it's the latter, you may not have hurt anything but
> the environment.

The environment being the asphalt of Dairy Queen's parking lot.  It
looked rather colorful amongst the globs of melted old ice cream.

> Stock DeLorean does NOT have a coolant overflow bottle, even though
> that's what people often call it. It's an expansion tank. It is
> located on the pressurized side of the radiator cap. It serves the
> same purpose as the air gap at the top of a normal radiator. If your
> system has too much coolant, it will fill this tank to the top then
> spit excess out that tube. That's the way car companies did it in the
> late 70's/early 80's (proper overflow bottles were a dealer option).

That explains so much!  The tank was filled to capacity.  My
husband is a lover of old SAABs and he assumed that since that's
what you do in a SAAB, that's what he should do to help me.  But
that leads me to more questions.  First -- the tank I'm talking about
is located in the engine compartment at the high point.  It is
stainless steel (an upgrade according to Sean) and has a pressure
cap.  If the inflow and outflow tubes are hindered by the pressure of
the coolant in the full tank could this cause the spewing and high
engine temp?  Just trying to look at this logically.  Am I on the right
track?  There's probably a bad otterstat and I know there's a leak,
but if I'm right, then filling to tank just compounded the problem.

> What was your gauge reading when this happened? Did the plumbing sound
> like Mount Vesuvius?

The temp guage was just tickling the underbelly of the red line. It
sounded fine but smelled like hot coolant.

> Change your hoses anyway. You should never trust a PO's rubber.

Bill -- you nearly cost me my laptop with my almost-spewing-of-drink
 at that comment.  You're funny, dude.

10440
let's hope "Live the Dream" doesn't become "Live the Nightmare"