[DML] Re: Original locking module: Really that bad?

[DML] Re: Original locking module: Really that bad?

The origional locking module IS bad news! It is way under-sized for
the inductive load that it has to handle. It is only a matter of time
before it WILL fail and burn up the door lock solenoids while it locks
you in the car and kills the battery. The best advice is to disconnect
it and either try one of the many types of upgrades (some of which you
have to build) or order a "Plug and Play" Lockzilla. If you can afford
the Lockzilla it can also get you remote lock/unlock which means you
don't wear out your keys and door lock cylinders. It puts you on a
path for the remote launchers and remote trunk release. It is backed
up by the reputation and service of the oldest servicing Delorean
dealer and is a known and time-tested upgrade. I know it is a
shameless plug but I am happy with mine and I know many other owners
that only have good things to say about it. The only negative comments
I have ever heard about the Zilla line of products is that they are
too expensive. The main problem with the origional door lock module is
the relay contacts are way to small for the current and there is no
arc suppression circuitry to disspate the inductive load when the
contacts open. This causes the load to be dissapated in the solenoids
themselves which leads to the breakdown of insulation causing the
shorting of the coils inside. The problem isn't the door solenoids, it
is the locking module.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757