Re: [DML] Refrigerants and the Future

R-22 is an ozone depleting chemical, according to that website which
suggests that it's not a component in any of the drop-in replacements in
Europe. RS24 and R413 are two brands of drop-in replacements, here're
some links

http://www.environ.com/articles/epa_adds_seven_alternatives_to_i.htm

Quote:

"In 1994, four years after the enactment of the Clean Air Act
Amendments, the Environmental Protection Agency, issued its first list
of allowable substitutes for CFC and HCFC refrigerants. " (from your
site, R-22 is an HCFC)

"RS-24’s ozone-depletion potential (ODP) is zero. "

http://tinyurl.com/3gdve

This is the manufactirer of R413 in the UK. There's quite a bit to read,
here're some more quotes:

"Comfort Cooling or air conditioning is one of the largest consumers of
refrigerants on a world-wide basis. Many of these systems operate with
R22 and are not yet affected by imminent phase-out but there are
numerous systems operating with R12, particularly in the automotive
industry. "

"Another option is to convert to a zero ODP drop-in replacement. [R413]
is the only non-flammabile zero ODP drop-in replacement for R12 ..." -
this is interesting as it suggests that it does not include the propane
(?) Dave Swingle mentioned.

"[R413] enables direct expansion systems to be converted to a zero ODP
refrigerant with no system modifications or oil changes. It is therefore
an ideal option where the cost of an R134a retrofit cannot be justified
or where it is not practical to perform an oil change."

...They go on to say that although theoretically the performance will be
slightly reduced, in practice, experiements show no difference in
temperature.

I've also found several references to US-based suppliers stocking
replacements, but *not encessarily* for use in cars. Not because it
can't be used, but simply that people haven't cottoned on to the idea!

I've had R413 in my DeLorean for two years. It works great, and was well
tested last year when the UK had its hottest summer for decades (and I
put my AC to the test on the hottest day which hit nearly 110 degrees).
I have a black interior and was quite comfortable.

Martin