[DML] New parts don't ALWAYS make your car run better...

[DML] New parts don't ALWAYS make your car run better...

Dear DMC Troubleshooting Experts,

Recently I purchased a bunch of parts from the various vendors to do
a BIG tune-up.  This involved replacing all of the vacuum hoses, new
ported vacuum switch, cleaning the fuel injectors (ultrasonically),
new injectors seals, installing the auto-coolant bleeder, pulling
the intake manifold to clean up the 'valley', install new spark
plugs, new heater pipe, new MSD Blaster2 ignition coil, new intake
manifold o-rings, calibrating the throttle and idle speed switch,
and general overall cleaning.  Whew!  So, all of the above has
already been done.

Let me take a step back for a moment, prior to this, my car was
running very well, or so I thought.  Then I started to read the DML
more, and started to find little things.  Namely, the three brass
screws were all turned open, there was no tamper-plug or plug of any
kind on my fuel distributor, and there was some sputtering
when 'revving' the engine.  Many of the vacuum hoses were dry and
cracked.  So, I installed all of the above parts, and closed all
three brass screws.  This leads me to where I am today...

Now that all of these vacuum leaks are taken care of, (or atleast I
think they are) my car starts, runs for about 10 seconds, and then
when the RPMS begin to settle down it either idles VERY rough or
stalls.  The exhaust is awfully foul smelling.  Now I won't lie to
you, the gas in the tank is probably 6 months old, and 93 (yes, I
know now that it's wrong and I should be using 87) octane.  But
anyway, the last interesting tidbit is that, if I take some tape or
whatever and put it in where the 'tamper-proof plug' should go, the
car will behave the way I just mentioned above, however it will be
accompanied by visible black smoke.  Removing the plug makes the
black smoke go away.

Now, I also have a new oxygen sensor waiting to be installed, but I
wanted to wait until I got some fresh gas in the car first, in fear
of ruining it.  Call me dumb, but could this be a case where I need
to adjust the mixture screw?

thanks,

Matt