[DML] Re: Torsion bars

There is a *limited* supply of left side torsion bars. If you get a
car with good bars they have a very low failure rate. As long as you
don't touch them, scratch them, adjust them, you should not have to
worry about replacing them. The Delorean venders are acutely aware of
ALL the parts that have limited availabilty, including the torsion
bars. DMC Houston is working on having them made along with many other
parts. You should understand that it is in their business interest to
keep Deloreans going and since this is their entire livelyhood they
will not let it die because of any one part. They buy and sell cars so
if they have one that needs a torsion bar they can't sell it if they
can't fix it. From time to time some parts may become difficult or
expensive to obtain but that is to be expected for any orphaned make.
Another part that worries some is the left front fender. Since there
are Deloreans being parted out there should be enough parts for the
near future although they may get pricey. Look at what happened to
Stainless Steel Illusion. When demand exceeds supply things get
expensive until you hit the price-point that makes it possible to
reproduce it. You should not base your decision on buying a Delorean
on parts availability. A much more important issue is SERVICE. You
need to know in advance if you are going to do the work yourself or if
not where you will find someone competant to perform quality work on
your cherished possesion. An unqualified mechanic will take your car
and make it worthless to the point you will get disgusted and have to
sell it blaming the car and not your "trusted" mechanic. Every owner
can tell you about the things they found from the dreaded P.O.
(previous owner). Much of what you will do on the car will be to undo
previous work and redo it correctly with the correct parts. That is
unless you buy one from one of the Delorean venders.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757