[DML] Installing 28 Spline Transmissions With 10 Spline Method

[DML] Installing 28 Spline Transmissions With 10 Spline Method

This thread is about played out, but I did want to clarify that the
disappearing "people" referenced in my last post were fellow employees
at the railroad, not DeLo owners. No one in the community has made me
a promise they weren't able to keep.

I've only heard from one other owner who uses a transmission
installation technique similar to mine, and he does it with the car
level on 4 jack stands. It's pretty obvious that my 10 spline method
will not work with our finer splines. Risk of damaging them without
even realizing it is too great. Big spline transmissions can be pulled
uphill to the block because if they ever become untrue, you'll know it
instantly from the resistance of the bolts (and if you turn the
mounting bolts evenly they don't ever go untrue). Our bolts however
put up *NO* noticeable resistance even if the splines are being destroyed.

My recommendations:
- Take the car to a 3rd party mechanic to install transmission (if
willing mechanic can be found)
- Use a proper transmission jack if doing it yourself
- Seat the transmission with muscle power alone. If the bellhousing
won't go all the way to the block without mechanical assistance, back
the transmission completely out and try again
- Under no circumstances use the mounting bolts or holes to do
anything other than hold an already seated transmission in place

Hopefully someone on the List will learn from my mistakes (except for
those lucky owners with early Vin transmissions!).

Bill Robertson