Re: [DML] Advantages of 28 spline clutch discs?

Re: [DML] Advantages of 28 spline clutch discs?

I would hazard a guess that using smaller (and therefore shallower)
splines makes the effective diameter (that traced by the base of the
splines) of the shaft larger, and therefore stronger. Also, the
"strength" of each spline will be increased in proportion with the
number of splines.

Really early DeLoreans, in the pre 1000 vin range have early 10-spline
Renault clutches. I thought the newer ones were 21 spline. Could be
wrong though, not got one to hand, and never really bothered counting them!

Martin