Re: [DML] DeLorean ownership; an ego trip & funniest thing ever heard Co

Re: [DML] DeLorean ownership; an ego trip & funniest thing ever heard Cont'd...

Hi Randy. I live in Ireland, and have many friends who's fathers worked in the factory. Some of them say their fathers hate the car, and others love it. The people who hate it are only angry because they lost their jobs, because they spent ages trying to find another. I think that the people who love it are just happy they were a part of history.
Thomas

Randal Atamaniuk <martydmc12@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
This is where I get confused, and frustrated with non-owners. Forget the
Back to the Future remarks; those can be a lot of fun. And the people who
ask the million and a half questions; better to inform them correctly than
have them walk away false information. My concern is with the people who
argue with us about the history of our cars, and especially J.Z.D.?s
history. These types of people seem to have a personal vendetta against
both John and the car. Did John DeLorean one day happen to get into his
DMC-12, and drive over these peoples mothers?! These types insist our cars
are pieces of junk; or that J.Z.D. was a crook and should be in jail. Even
if they sometimes have all the facts right; they continue to hound us with
how stupid we must be to own such a lousy car. And most of these people are
usually automotive enthusiasts.

I don?t get it; after John left GM and his Pontiac GTO in its glorified
history, did the world suddenly go anti-DeLorean? I wasn?t old enough to
remember or even know what was going on before 1981; but I always assumed
that the creation of a new automobile was a positive thing for car
enthusiasts (okay, maybe not for Detroit). But what happened? Did the
cocaine scandal suddenly make our cars stainless steel heaps? I though
1981-1982, no matter how poor sales were, the DeLorean was ?the dream? car
of that time period.

A good example is a story I heard about eight or nine years back, before DMC
Houston starting re-manufacturing the blank keys. There was a guy in
England who had buckets of original key blanks; at the time, he could have
made a pretty penny off of them too. But no, because he hated DeLorean so
much, he melted them down instead. So this goes back to my question, what
is this hatred that seems to pop-up now and again at a car show, or on a
message board, etc. Where did it come from, and why? What?s their excuse?
It doesn?t seem to be ego or jealousy either. It?s something else.
Something I?m not sure anyone can or will ever figure out.

Maybe I?m wrong. Who knows.

Randy
Vin #16353