Re: [DML] DeLorean ownership; an ego trip?

Re: [DML] DeLorean ownership; an ego trip?

Old Coot,  *grin*

I only partially agree with you.  I don't know about this whole "ego trip"
bit, but there are a great many people who would *kill* to drive a DeLorean.
Myself included.

When I told my friends that I was presented with the opporunity of becoming a
DeLorean owner, they were simply stunned.  Jaws dropped.  Eyes popped.  "Man,
you're so damned lucky..."  "...where did you find that?!"

You get the drift.

Everyone on this list has at least *three* gas station stories, where, they
drove in for maybe a few gallons of gas, and ended up staying there for at
least two hours, giving lectures about the car, letting people sit in it,
answering questions, etc etc.  And 99% of the owners out there enjoy this quite a bit.
 For many, that's the entire reason for owning this car in the first place.
Some owners get upset about this because it can be tiresome.  If you're late
for work, for example.  It can also be very frustrating when you have a
perfectly functional DeLorean, yet can't go anywhere with it out of fear of the
crowds.  I understand that completely.

Everyone's heard of the DeLorean.  Even my boss at work who is by no means a
car buff, and has a great many false ideas regarding the history of these cars
(then again, she's not the brightest of folk =P).  When those doors go up at
a gas station, *everyone* wants to come over and see it.  Most even want to
sit in it.  And there are certainly a great many of them who say "I wish I had a
car like that."  Even little kids get excited over the gull winged doors.

When you drive down the road in one of these cars, you're an instantly
celebrity.  Depending on your age, people will shout out "Hey, Marty!" or "Doc!" or
even "88 miles per hour!"

"So where's the Flux Capacitor?"

"So... how far back are you gunna go?"

Now granted, each person on this planet is an individual.  And just as surely
as the sun will rise this morning, there are those out there who simply don't
give a damn.  And that's fine.  I deal with these kinds of people in my line
of work every single day, and by the handful.  But the general
population--generally, now--have a great appreciation and respect for the car.

QUOTE: "Indeed, if the guy or gal driving that Mustang, rice burner, 911
Turbo,
or Lotus, looks our way itâs because they are car conscious; not because
they envy us."

Again, I agree with you only up to a point.  I've caught myself driving down
the road in a fairly nice condition '94 Olds Cutlass Supreme (convertible,
even), gazing longingly at the Porsche that just sped by, leaving me to chew on
his dust wake.  Some people do turn green with envy.  Some just go "oh, yeah,
that's a nice car... isn't Mr. DeLorean still in jail?"  And then you get the
punks who think they know everything about the car (60 mpg highway, 250 mph top
speed, V16 w/ 4x turbo, GMC had to stop producing them because of the sex
scandal John DeLorean was involved in, etc etc.)

Moral of the story?  People are people.  Some are envious.  Some are
indifferent.  And as for others, well... some have negative feelings towards the car
for whatever reason.

Regards,
Div