[DML] Re: Continued: Problems With Valeo Brand Clutch Discs?

[DML] Re: Continued: Problems With Valeo Brand Clutch Discs?

I can tell you exactly what happened: the clutch disc froze onto the
input shaft. Rather than disengaging normally, you were pushing the
whole disc away from the pressure plate only. I bet your flywheel
looked as pristine as the day it left the factory, while the pressure
plate was scored beyond recognition.

My failed re-installation might have worked that way if the input
shaft had penetrated just a fraction of an inch further before
binding. Perhaps it's best it didn't...

How was your removal? My transmission would not scoot back, even with
a crowbar (original disc, not the failed re-install). I could lever it
back, but as soon as I pulled the crowbar out it would spring right
back to the engine. Obviously I was flexing the whole disc in the
other direction. Ultimately ended up pulling the transmission back far
enough to wedge nuts between the block and the bellhousing, running
threaded rods through these nuts into the tranmission mounting bolt
holes, then turning the nuts with a stubby wrench (engine cradle
clearance) to force the transmission back. Of course this snapped the
input shaft roll pin, but even that cloud has a silver lining: it was
a lot easier to pull just the bellhousing off and take it to the shop
to have my failed re-install pressed off than it would have been to
take the whole transmission!

There is a possibility my input shaft splines are slightly deformed
where the original disc was frozen. That would explain why the
re-install hung where it did. Doesn't look so, but I'll know for sure
when I test fit the replacement disc.

Bill Robertson