[DML] Continued: Problems With Valeo Brand Clutch Discs?

[DML] Continued: Problems With Valeo Brand Clutch Discs?

Because the female splines on the input shaft are too big to slip
through the bellhousing, I have removed the bellhousing/input
shaft/throwout bearing/trapped pressure plate/stuck clutch disc as a
complete assembly. Tomorrow it'll be pressed off.

On close examination it appears the splines on my clutch disc are not
cut equally. Rather than matching angles on either side, it looks as
though one side is angled and the other is more vertical. I'll examine
it under magnification after removal.

Clutch manufacturing problems are not unheard of. A friend of mine got
one for his Volkswagon that wobbled like a wheel on a jalopy. Our
railroad got one for a truck that chattered unacceptably. If the
French are still mad at us for Iraq, I may have paid the price ("give
ze American a clutch from zat pile over zere").

Sorry to say I didn't test fit this disc on the input shaft. It was
freezing weather and I had a deadline (aborted 'Fridge Run). Since
I'll have to use the input shaft as an alignment tool -- only
purchased a replacement clutch disc, not a complete kit -- can
guarantee the new one will slide on (if my input shaft splines have
survived).

Addendum to the Workshop Manual: nowhere does it tell you to drain the
gear oil before removing the bellhousing. On a normal transmission,
the bellhousing does NOT form the front of the transmission itself.
The French had no such compunction. Will buy some kitty litter
tomorrow to clean up my mess.

Bill Robertson