Re: [DML] let's play a game...

I'm always a little curious about posts like this.  It seems that
you are saying you would like less negativity, and more publicity
for our car.  I'm going to have to disagree.  These are the reasons
that makes the car unique to me.
That is, some people think they are junk, unsafe, ugly, unreliable,
built "just for BTTF," impossible to get parts for and repair, used
for drug trafficking, built by GMC, valued at $100K, and in general,
not a "good car."  Did I miss anything?
If these are the beliefs of the average individual, then let them
believe that.  I didn't buy a DeLorean because I wanted something
that everyone else had, e.g., a Mustang.  I love the fact that when
I pull into a gas station, the number one question I'm asked
is "What is it?"  If people think that the cars are hard to get
parts for and difficult to repair, then great;  I'll be glad to
continue driving a car that is so esoteric and mysterious to the
mainstream public.
It's very rewarding to drive a car in which most parts (or atleast
the correct ones) cannot be found in any automotive store, not to
mention one which many people have NEVER seen in person.  It's
practically a testament of the owner's mechanical ability,
troubleshooting, and researching skills to drive a D.
Now, suppose the D does begin to get more publicity, and soon we see
custom D accessories at Autozone, Pep Boys, etc.  Now that everyone
is familiar with the car and has seen it everywhere, no longer does
it make a scene at the gas station or diner.  Suppose the value of
the car increases due to demand and popularity.  Vandalism and theft
become more common seeing as the parts are worth more.  Replica car
companies start manufacturing a Fiero-DeLorean conversion.  Now,
when your "lower income bracket" drivers see you, they exclaim "LOOK
IT'S ONE OF THOSE KIT CARS YOU CAN GET FOR $3999!"
There are countless other reasons why more publicity for our car
isn't necessarily a good thing, but this is just my opinion.  I
guess I'm just happy with the way things are.

Matt

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Louie G <louie@xxxx> wrote:

> That show was pure trash IMO. Every character on the show was a
giant stereotype from original DeLorean owners being greedy and
shallow; to women and gays being inherently promiscuous and weak. I
was shocked at how bad all of it really was, and to the extent all
of the overtones were carried. I suppose that's why I stick with my
non-fiction programming LOL. I guess on the positive, at least they
stayed away from the DeLoreans are lemons stereotype.

> I'm sure I'm not alone in the fact that I'm tired of seeing
negativity about the car and its followers in the media. I suppose I
should go along with the notion that any publicity is good
publicity, but I yearn to see Dream Car Garage or Two Guys Garage
work on a DeLorean. Not to mention it would be nice for My Classic
Car or Car Crazy to do a segment on the car and its current
following. Headline News recently did a segment on 40 years of the
Mustang. Why not see if they'd be interested in what has happened to
the DeLorean in the last 20 years, and get some footage to them from
Pigeon Forge? With as diverse of a population as we as owners and
enthusiats are, surely we could find a way to get the marque and
community in the media in a positive light. The Car and Driver
segment a few years back was excellent. How can we make something
like that happen again?