[DML] Re: catalytic converter question

OK, here is a plan of attack:
Have the fuel injectors tested and cleaned
Replace the seals on them
Go over ALL the vacuum hoses for ANY vacuum leaks
Check the initial timing and the vacuum and mechanical advance
Make sure the plug over the mixture screw is not leaking vacuum
Wipe the venturi (throat) of the air sensor and plate and make sure it
     moves freely and is centered
Make sure the ignition wires are in GOOD condition and regap the spark
plugs
Shake the air filter and if it is dirty replace it
Replace the O2 sensor, reset the Lambda counter and check the intake
and exhaust valves for clearance.
Mkae sure the Lambda system sysetm is functioning properly.
Do a compression test, they should be within 5% of each other and over
100 psi
Get rid of the 87 octane and put 91 or higher in for the test
Drive it for a while to clear out the converter before you go for
another test. If it hasn't been overheated from all the HC it should
be alright. When a "D" is set up correctly you can pass even with a
hollowed out converter in most States. You should also make sure the 3
brass screws are closed and the motor is running on the idle system.
This is a lot of work but I don't know if the previous work was done
"right". For instance a 30,000 mile service is SUPPOSED TO include an
O2 sensor and a valve adjustment. You might also need a distributer
cap and rotor and a fuel filter. Maybe even an oil change and filter.
Yes, it could affect the emmisions if it needs an oil change or is
overfilled with oil. You should also make sure the cooling system is
working right. If the thermostat is stuck open or the fans run all the
time the motor could be running too cool which increases emissions.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757