Re: [DML] Play in Steering Wheel

In a message dated 4/17/04 7:42:03 PM Central Daylight Time, MPolzin@xxxxxxx
writes:

> One of my cars has what I would consider excessive play in the
> steering wheel, what can I do to fix this? It is really annoying
> because the steering on my other car is really tight, as has been
> the steering on almost every other Delorean I have driven.
>
> The car only has 38,000 miles on it..
>
> Thanks for the help in advance!
>
> Mike Polzin

Mike - lift the car up and have someone wiggle the steering wheel while you
observe the intermediate shaft, its u-joints, and where the shaft goes into the
rack.  my guess is that you have the original rack, and after 23 years, it's
probably somewhat rotten inside.  how many cars are out there where you have
to check the rack and pinion fluid once a year (at least)?  well it's probably
run dry or low and it's worn out.  if you have a hard time figuring it out,
bring it to a trusted mechanic and ask them to check all of your tie rod ends,
inner and outer.  if the inner ones have a lot of play, you will need a new
rack.  don't worry. it happens to everyone!

Andy