[DML] Re: Angle Drive - A new Angle

Jewelers is going to be too small. You need the longest blade possible
to get the leverage to start it. Stanley's 1/8" is 4".

Re: my angle drive repair -- remember, this was done last spring, when
Houston's angle drives were not yet available. I had no choice but to
repair the factory unit. Were it to happen today, I would simply by a
new replacement.

The outer coils of my spindle cable are wound against the direction of
primary wheel rotation (I still wonder if mine at least was intended
for RHD use on the passenger wheel). This had the unfortunate
consequence of unwinding on I-95. Several inches from the end were
mangled like spaghetti, and the visible portion of the wheel disc was
rounded out (I later discovered that deep inside its pocket was still
square).

My first repair was to cut off the damaged portion of the spindle
cable, attach a piece of same diameter threaded rod in its place, then
interface to the wheel disc by cutting off the original pocket and
tapping threads (added a nut/jamb nut for good measure). This worked
well for a short time, but the remaining spindle cable continued to
unwind on the other side of my splice.

My second repair was the same as the first, except I ran solder all
the way down the remaining factory cable, including inside the angle
drive bushing, to prevent any more unwinding. I now had such a long
piece of threaded rod in lieu of spindle cable (and the cable I did
have had no flex because of the solder) installation was a real bear.
I got in in, but then began to worry that the whole arrangement was
too stiff. I never drove on the second repair.

My third repair was to separate the threaded rod and the spindle
cable. A short piece of 1/8" key stock was attached to the now very
short spindle cable. A piece of 1/8" hollow square channel was
attached to the threaded rod (for the key stock to mate into). There's
provision for about 1/4" movement side to side between the rod and the
cable. My angle drive now is inserted in two pieces: the original gear
assembly goes on the inside as usual, then the rod with wheel disc
already attached goes on from the outside. The keystock/hollow channel
mate inside the spindle effortlessly.

I've driven about 6,000 miles on this repair, at speeds up to 80 MPH.
Don't anticipate any problems, but as I said: if they pop up I'll
simply buy one of the replacements now available. I remove it from
time to time to check its health -- next time it's out of the car I'll
take some pics and upload them to #5939's photo album.

Bill Robertson