are posting some rather interseted things that are simply nowhere in my
post.   I have had numerous private emails supporting my post and I am
grateful to those of you who posted publicly.

#1 - There is a difference between  "price shopping" and "price
hopping".   Louie seems to be the perfect Delorean Customer by doing his
research first and then making a purchase.   Louie, don't take
offense....your one of the good ones.

Price hopping is done by some of you where you call with a list and get
prices from all the vendors and then start a bargaining session with
numerous phone calls back and forth to them trying to get them to
"outbid" the other vendors......"well DMCH will sell it to me for $2.00
less"  etc........  THIS is what I am talking about.   You know who you
are, and I am saying that if there are people in our community who want
to play this kind of game, go buy a car where you have lots of places to
call and get the "very best price you can".

#2 - AngularTableKnight wrote that:

 <That's one of the most absurd things I've ever read. Just because the DeLorean is a rare car doesn't mean that the vendors are obligated to treat their customers like crap.>

I agree!!!!  I am not defending D1's policy or the demeanor to some of the poeple who have called.  I am simply trying to give people who are upset another viewpoint as to "why" this situation may have become what it is.  There is always another side to examine.  Since Ed will not post here I feel it was important to give my opinion on why he has chosen to stop dealing with people calling to price things.

 <In fact, letting the vendors stick it to the consumers is the surest way to kill the car. In a free market economy, and yes the DeLorean is part of a free market economy, it is competition that drives such things as advances in technology that will make the DeLorean more reliable, refinements in engineering that make parts less costly, and other such things that can only lengthen the longevity of the car.>

I don't think any of our vendors try to "stick" it to consumers.  Some claim that D1's prices are higher but we have a limited number of cars so any advancements are only going to be made by vendors (or individuals) who can afford to do the research and try and make their investment back.  If people are wasting the vendors time with B.S. price hopping tactics it seems to me like this makes them lose money therefore driving down the chance of them to be willing to put more money into R+D.

 <Consumers shopping for the best price is an integral part of that system, as is comparing notes on the vendors, and so forth. Dealing with that is part of the vendors' job.>

I agree to the first part but understand that one vendor has already choosen to no longer "deal with It".  I am trying to say that MORE vendors may take this position if this kind of "over-the-top" abuse continues.  With a community so small it is unacceptable for a small percentage to waste the valuable time of our major vendors.  Do you know how many more cars our vendors could get to in a day if they didn't have to deal with the people who call for prices and have no intention to buy parts?  Do you really think our vendors need to deal with calls like "I can buy it for $5.00 less at Pepboys....will you match it?"  Rob knows that if I call him with a question and I need a part I will buy it from him.

Would it be fair if I called Rob and took up his time about a problem and have him steer me in the right direction as to what to check for and then turn around and decide to buy the part I need from someone else?  Or worse, Tell Rob thanks for helping me with my problem but I will only buy the part from you if you sell it to me for $xxx because I found it for less at another vendor.  I feel that's B.S.

If anyone would like to discuss this further please e-mail me privately.  I enjoy the debate.

Tom
#05732

So....let me state again......If you are not one of the people who are haggling with our vendors please don't take offense.