[DML] catalytic converter question

Hi

I just have a smog check done and my D failed.  I am located in California. This test was
done at "test only" center, and the car was put on dyno.  The test results are as follows:

RPM=2292 (at 15mph)
HC_MAX = 141     HC_GP=331           HC_MEAS = 161
NOX_MAX = 1148   NOX_GP   = 2270     NOX_MEAS = 2211

RPM=2408 (at 25mph)
HC_MAX = 113      HC_GP=263           HC_MEAS = 156
NOX_MAX = 978     NOX_GP   = 2070     NOX_MEAS = 2276

The test technician suggested a new catalytic converter.  My questions are

(1) Do I really need a new catalytic converter?  I thought the catalytic converter is not
suppose to go bad.  It is usually a sign of something else went bad.

(2) If I remember correctly, I don't thik the catalytic converter for the '81 delorean is
designed to remove NOX.  Am I right?   If that is true, changing the catalytic converter
would not reduce the NOX level.

(3) Could the high HC level cause by the carbon deposite in the engine?  After all, this is a
22 years old car.    Or it is caused by dirty fuel injectors.

(4) One of my friend suggest I change my catalytic converter to a OBD II (spelling?) which is
design to remove NOX.    He says I just need to get it retrofit to my car.  What do you
think?

Thanks!

rendy