[DML] Re: Weird Idle

Volvo factory literature specifies an idle speed of 900 RPM for both E
and F series. Don't know where DeLorean came up with 750, unless it
was for emissions (remember: our cars don't have smog pumps, which
were standard equipment on emissioned Volvo's).

eMail me your block ID numbers off List (brobertson(at)carolina.net)
to verify if the lower half of your engine is indeed Renault Z7V. The
pics you sent earlier of the top half are definitely *NOT* circa 1980
Renault. Note these differences:
- 2 piece upper air assembly (Renault used a single piece casting)
- Cast iron fuel distributor with Lambda (Renault used an aluminum one
without Lambda)
- PCV through the cold start tube (Renault routed PCV through the U pipes)
- Idle speed microswitch (there's no place to mount a microswitch on
Renault's upper air assembly)
- Series 066 CPR with vacuum nipples in the base (Renault used series
038 with one vacuum nipple on top, plus an adjacent fuel dampener)
- Fluoroelastometric lines to the cold start injector and CPR (Renault
used steel lines across the entire engine)

It is possible someone transferred everything north of the heads from
your car's original block, making a hybrid engine. At this time the
only thing I can conclusively identify as Renault are your steel
injector lines.

Do a compression test -- Z7V is 9.5:1, which yields 160-170 PSI.

If the lower half of your engine is indeed Renault, you need to be
running:
- High octane fuel
- Low temp spark plugs
- Potentially less spark advance (send me the number on your ignition
distributor)

Bill Robertson

>--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Alex Wolf" <alex@xxxx> wrote:
> Something strange happened yesterday while driving the car. My idle is
> always a bit rough at 750 RPM due to the fact that its not a factory
> Delorean motor, it's a Renault that was sold for Delorean. I cant
remember
> the differences, but it looks almost the same. The fuel lines are
metal, not
> rubber. Well, yesterday while sitting at a light the idle was high,
at 1500
> RPM. I revved up the engine, and it dropped back to the normal 750.
Then I