[DML] Re: ATTN: Michael #2944 (Cooling Fans Won't Turn Off)

[DML] Re: ATTN: Michael #2944 (Cooling Fans Won't Turn Off)

Not all otterstadts are created equal. When I first installed a
Fanzilla it didn't seem to come on right and took too long for it to
go off. Rob Grady said I should replace the otterstadt with a new one
from him, his works better with his thermostats and Fanzilla. Always
replace the seal with the otterstadt and if the clip is missing it is
alright to just use a strap-tie. NEVER put anything on the seal except
anti-freeze. I thought I was smart and used some silicone. It failed
soon after. I can't speak to how well John H's parts work, I only have
experience with these parts from Rob. If you have to continually bleed
the system and you get air out you have a leak somewhere and the
system will never run right. If the radiator is half full of air (an
exaggeration) then it can only work at 50% efficiency. Even with the
auto bleeder that you can install on the fitting by the thermostat it
can't get all the air out of the radiator. A "tight" system only needs
to be bled once (when you initially fill it). Another possability is
that the car was overheated and you have a blown head gasket putting
combustion gases into the cooling system. Now you can NEVER bleed all
the air out! A simple test can confirm. BTW to test the otterstadt
remove it from the car and put it over the stove in a pot of water
with a continuity meter and a thermometer. Heat the water and note the
temperature it closes at and as it cools the temp it opens.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757