[DML] Re: Insurance

The insurance thread pops up often. The biggest problem with giving
advice on insurance is that even with the same company insurance
varies wildly State to State. Each State has it's own rules that
govern the operation of insurers within that State. In some States
some companies won't write auto and in others they are very friendly.
The biggest choice is to go "classic" or general. There are varying
limitations on "classic" but it is much cheaper. The big guys like
Allstate don't offer classic so you will always do better with the
ones that specialize in that market like Grundy or Haggerty, or
Taylor. Shop around. Get quotes from ALL of them. Be careful because
you are not always comparing "apples with apples". They each have
their differing rules, limits, deductables, etc. Talk to other people
with classic cars in your State at cruise nights or car shows and find
out what they are doing. Don't forget after you register your car the
State may have their limitations if you go classic or historic. If
they limit you to 2,500 miles per year than having insurance that also
sets that limit is OK too. In New Jersey I have it as "collector" so I
don't have to go through inspection anymore. This limits me to 2,500
but I have Haggerty for $321 which is also 2,500 miles so it doesn't
matter. The one limit I *LIKE* is that every driver MUST be 26 or
older. This keeps my daughters out of the driver's seat!
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757