[DML] Re: carbon deposits in combustion chamber

[DML] Re: carbon deposits in combustion chamber

That's not the combustion chamber, but the backside of the intake
valve. The buildup is, unfortunatly, pretty normal since this is a
CIS (constant injection) engine, so fuel is coming out of the
injectors all the time. Over time it just builds up carbon on the
back of the valve. There's no real good way to clean it up short of
taking the heads off the engine removing the valves. For a while when
gasoline started having a lot of additives put in, it was fashionable
(not necessarily on DeLoreans) to remove the intake manifold and
blast the back of the valves via the intake port with walnut shells,
but I've not heard of that process for a long time now.

I'd let it be, just going in there and scraping off chunks of carbon
is likely to cause you more problems than you'll solve. This is one
of those "they all look like that" things.

Dave S

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "supermattthehero" <supermatty@xxxx>