[DML] Re: Alternator Location & Distributor cap/rotor

[DML] Re: Alternator Location & Distributor cap/rotor

DMC didn't design the PRV. It simply purchased it as an off the shelf
product already in production for more than a decade.

Stock Volvo and Renault PRV's all have the alternator mounted at the
bottom of the block, on one side or the other. Bottom mounted
alternators are pretty standard in front engine/rear wheel drive
vehicles the world over. Takes advantage of air flow under the
vehicle, unheated by the radiator/condensor, to cool a very hot device
(ever notice the cooling blades built into most alternator pulleys?).
What I want to know is why car manufacturers insist on attaching the
block ground down there too, subject to the worst road conditions for
no good reason!

That said, I have relocated the alternator on my AMC (GM 151 engine)
up high with no ill effects. Lifespan may be shortened somewhat, but
at $39.95 with lifetime warranty that really isn't a concern.

Note that relocating a DeLo alternator like that requires a different
style air filter housing -- there isn't room for both.

Location of the ignition distributor makes more sense when you study
early PRV intake manifolds, none of which covered it up. Even Volvo
fuel injected manifolds through 1977 protruded no further back than
cylinder 1 & 4 intake ports. I've re-uploaded a pic of my A series PRV
to #5939's photo album so you can see how easy tune-ups are on these
non-K Jetronic manifolds. Will also scan some of my Volvo literature
tomorrow so you can see the 1975-1977 injection manifold (if you think
K Jetronic looks funny, you ain't seen nothin' yet...)

Note that Volvo's 1988 heavily redesigned PRV -- the B280
(Chrysler/Renault 3.0) -- relocated the distributor to the front of
cylinder 1-3 head, even though its intake manifold (EFI) is similar is
size to early 1970's models.

Bill Robertson

>--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Stian Birkeland" <delorean@xxxx> wrote:
> When seeing the Legend Twin-Turbo set-up on Tamir's site
(www.entermyworld.com) I can't help but thinking WHY DeLorean didn't
mounted all alternators on top of the RH side of the PRV-engine
instead of at the bottom.
> It looks so much nicer (and symmetric with the A/C compressor on the
other side)
> Also, it is easier to get to.
>
> If the alternator was to be moved to this new location, would there
be any problems concerning such a set-up?

> Also, would it be possible to find another place in the engine
compartment for the distributor cap/rotor, in order for it to be
easier to get to?