From: David Teitelbaum [mailto:jtrealty@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2004 11:53 PM
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DML] Re: sound system upgrading

As a trained engineer I am always concerned about weight. I have a lot
of experience with cars, boats, airplanes, and helicopters. Weight is
ALWAYS a top concern in any design. In almost any modifacation you tend
to add weight. It is a lot harder to increase the power to allow for the
increased weight. One of the most important determinates is
power-to-weight ratio. It is always cheaper to reduce weight than to add
power. I don't say NOT to use Dynamat, just use it sparingly. Maybe cut
it up into strips and lay it in so it keeps the panels from vibrating.
It reduces the sound by adding mass so it is the least desirable way to
go. Try using spun fiberglass. It is very low density and reduces sound
transmission through the air. It also insulates so it can help with
heating and cooling which Dynamat can't. 20 pounds here, 30 pounds there
and before you know it the car can be overweight. Look at all the stuff
most people stick in the trunk. Many people tend to forget that weight
also affects gas mileage. handling, alignment, and tire wear. VB would
have a hard time trimming out my helicopter without adding A LOT of
ballast to keep the CG within limits! A car is designed for the
"average" driver which is usually somewhere between 150 and 200 lbs. Of
course today's average seems to be getting bigger! Maybe that's why we
are seeing so many Hummers on the road! David Teitelbaum vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Video Bob" <videobob@xxxx> wrote:
> I would have to agree.
> The stuff he is talking about is usually called "Dynamat".
> A big roll of it only weighs about 20 pounds or so.
>
> Besides, the purpose of this stuff is to dead the sound of vibration.
> If you have ever been at a stop light and have some "homies" pull up
next to

www.dmcnews.com

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews