Re: [DML] A/C Fascia Panel Reproduction? WHEN?

Re: [DML] A/C Fascia Panel Reproduction? WHEN?

I have seen 3 different designs and they seem to fluctuate around the
vins.... (unless it was a replacement of course).

My car vin 5255 had this one
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2454039448&ssPageName=ADME:B:LC:UK:1
which was part 108920 and is no longer available from the vendors in this
particular style.

I purchased my replacement to the above from Josh Haldeman which was from
the parted out car 5609.  Although not far from my vin, this later version
is almost identical to my older one apart from the additional 'HOT' and
COOL' marked on it.  The graphics/icons are otherwise identical.  The finish
on my older version was smooth and semi-gloss, where as the later has a
superior matt textured finish which aesthetically looks higher quality and
also hides the marks.

I echo the same concerns that although the backing glue is still tacky, it
will probably start giving up in the near future due to the intense heat of
the continually lit bulbs behind drying it out.  Then the wrinkling will
start : /

If the glue is failing a little on these, I wonder how the other 8000+ other
panels out there are holding up.  Next time you are in the cockpit gently
press the graphics, particularly near where it meets near the holes for the
hazard and headlight switch and see if you hear a tacky/crunchy sound...

This is certainly a part that should be re-manufactured, although I think
the need for 'hot and cold' is a little over the top as the red and blue
graphics really do get the message across.  Today's manufacturing could as
Stian also suggests mean a design with no glued plastic decal sheet and
instead be done with the high level plastics that are now available.

Regard,

Chris Hawes
vin 5255 now with '5609 Inside'