RE: [DML] Re: sound system upgrading

I have spent a lot of effort last week on the radio.
I replaced the two front 3 1/2" speakers with Rockford Fozgate's.
Getting them out is EASY, putting them back in?
I would rather wrestle a badger naked.
I had to pull the seats out and lie upside down with my feet in the air.
Unless you work for Cirque de Soleil on your spare time, this will kick your
ass.
The biggest problem was that when ever the socket got near the speaker, the
magnet would suck the little nut out and it would stick to the side.
I managed to finally get it to work when I use my trusty DUCT TAPE and
wrapped
a little strip around the end of the socket to hold the nut in.
This finally worked.
The other issue is that almost all of the speakers now-a-days have a little
tweeter sticking up in the middle.
To compenate for this I first thread on one of the same sized nuts as a
spacer.
(washers will never work because you will never get them to stay in place)
I also ended up bending the "ears" of the speaker to give more space.

I installed DMCH's stereo panel, which is a little flymsie and needed to be
painted black.
I used some textured black BBQ paint and it looks good.
(avoid glossy paint, look for something textured and flat black, out door
use, scratch resistant.)
This also kicked my ass....because you have to rip out the whole center
console.
AAAAHHHHRRRGGGGG!
Of course I used one of *my* radio harness kits, making thing easier!
And while I was in there I wired up an extra cigarette lighter socket and
mounted it
under the right knee pan on the drivers side so I could plug in a radar
detector, or etc...

My head amp is awesome.
It is the Sony MEX-HD1.
This has a 10 gig hard drive and plays MP3's and stuff, it is the most
awesome stereo
ever built and worth every bit of the $1000 it costs!
(picked up mine on eBay for $600, but seen them at Circut City for $800)

As for my rear speakers - I yanked em out and left the wires handy to get
to.
I have already mentioned that I am building a custom speaker box that will
look facotry
and will be flush against the wall, but equal to the back window.
It will have the Flux Capaicitor in the middle, an AMP, and either 6x9's or
8's,
I haven't decided yet.
I am also thinking of putting an 8" sub behind the seat in the compartment.

Ya'll will all see it in PF.
- VB

>From: Louie G <louie@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: [DML] Re: sound system upgrading
>Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 18:51:44 -0800 (PST)
>
>I couldn't disagree with your suggestions more lol. My DeLorean is a good
>example of how a DeLorean with speakers in their stock positions can make
>great sound. My car has 4 Rockford Fosgate speakers in the stock DeLorean
>positions, a JVC CD player, and a Pioneer Bass tube with built in
>amplifier. It sounds terrific, will rattle your brains out if you so
>desire, while bringing out percussion and guitar parts you never knew
>existed in your favorite songs. If you really want high quality sound, not
>just bass, you need AT LEAST 4 speakers, a decent head unit, and some sort
>of an amplified subwoofer. Another big helper in the DeLorean is adding
>sound proofing material. The DeLorean is kind of noisy inside from road and
>engine noise... you won't believe what a difference this will make in
>regards to your sound system. Several vendors are now selling soundproofing
>material, or you can go online to someplace like Jegs and get a roll of the
>stuff and go crazy with it.
>

>--- "Video Bob" <videobob@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>I didn't even bother with that, I just pulled the panel out from the back,
>poked my arm through
>and yanked the speakers out.
>They are just sitting there, they are not screwed in.
>They are held with a hose clamp but can easily slip out.
>I would not bother replacing them because they completely suck.
>You are much better off just installing some really good front speakers, or
>having some sort of a small rear speaker box until you are ready to install
>decent
>speakers into the back wall.
>You can get a small little kicker box from Wal-Mart with speakers in them
>for less that $40.
>Just yank your rear wires off the speakers by reach from behind the wall
>(after you pull it back)
>and plug them into the box.
>This will sound much better.
>
>I already went through all of the trouble of installing new 4x10's only to
>find that they SUCK.
>There is no back pressure, no way for them to create bass and the
>positioning is wrong.
>That is why I am cutom building my own rear BOX, a solid BOX that will have
>air space
>for making bass. That's the ONLY way to get it.
>
>- VB
>VIN#5278
>

> >From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman@xxxxxxxx>
> >To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >Subject: Re: [DML] Re: rear speaker replacement
> >Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 12:26:22 -0500
> >
> >For those of you who don't wish to damage your rear trim pieces by
> >cutting through them, get out a hair dryer, or heat gun, and heat it up,
> >and it will just pull off.   You may need a large flat head screw driver
> >to get it started.

> [...]

All the action. All the drama. Get NCAA hoops coverage at MSN Sports by
ESPN. http://msn.espn.go.com/index.html?partnersite=espn