[DML] LED Lights

Hello List,
  This subject comes up once and a while. I have been telling other
DMLers about the LED's on my car for a few years now. And I'm
usually contacted by others wanting to know where I purchased my
LED's or how I made them. I always meant to update my new web page.
http://home.comcast.net/~mquinto/led.html
Over the years I purchased a number of LED 1156 and 1157's from
various companies. The brightness from these bulbs were just not
there. The only one I ever found to be considered as a taillight or
blinker replacement light is the Jamstrait HYPER-BRIGHT series NOT
the SUPER-BRIGHTS. I did get that projection circle on my taillight
lens. So I spaced the taillight boards out a little and this reduced
it quite a bit. I've had Jamstrait bulbs on my taillights for over a
year now without any problems. I've had cops behind me quite a few
times while using my signals or brake lights and had never been
pulled over.
There is a new company I found that sells allot of LED bulbs for
different applications. http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-
bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=CAR
Some of there 1156 and 1157 bulbs have a wider viewing angle. But I
never purchased anything from them so I couldn't tell you how good
they are.
I believe John Hervey was investigating a kit awhile back as well, I
don't know if he still is or not? If he still is, I know it would be
a good kit.
 Sorry, I never entertained the idea of making a kit myself I didn't
want to be responsible for selling something that may not be DOT
approved. I'm sure there would be some sort of liability risk.
Someone would rear end a DeLorean owner and claim he modified his
Taillights. Anyway since I never found an aftermarket BA7 bulb for
the A/C Panel I purchased the indiglow A/C panel from Ryan Gould. I
had him do it in Red to match my Dash illumination. And It looks
great!

So I gathered up some old emails with this information below.

If you follow this link to the Yahoo groups in photos it will give
you better detail on the LED's I installed. I meant to transfer
those pics and info to my web page awhile back. I just can't find
the time, plus I don't like the web page providers setup. So I don't
think I will be updating soon.
gr&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%3a//briefcase.yahoo.com/

I purchased Jamstrait 1156 & 194 Hyperbrites from:
http://www.myroadster.net/led.asp

My # 733 and # 743 Interior Dome, Engine Compartment, Trunk Light
and License Plate Lights from:
http://www.lightingresearch.com/leds/led_dome_lights.htm

My # 73 Hazard and Headlight Switch Light from:
http://www.happcontrols.com/index.html?
http://www.amusementsplus.com/lighting/915wb61w.htm!

You should check out these guys. http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-
bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=CAR I never purchase anything from
them but they seem to be very inexpensive. They carry all the LED's
I described above plus the load equalizer for the alt dash light.

The # 733 or Festoon Bulbs will fit License plate.
and # 743 will fit in all other places.
The 194's will fit the door lights. Mine are custom.
The 1156's will fit in the rear taillights.
The 73's or 74's will fit in the Headlight and hazard switch.
The 1157's will work for front turn signal. Mine are custom.
Side marker lights, maybe available from new vendor. Mine are custom.
A/C panel Lights, none available. Mine are Indiglow.
Why I made custom LED's in certain places, at the time these were
not available or too expensive. I didn't bother changing them over.
They all seem to be still functioning without a problem.

DASH INFO
Do red for red amber for amber. I used white LED's for blue & green
lenses, they worked very well. White didn't work behind amber or red
lens.
And use the Hyper-brites.

I bought a total of 16 Hyper-Bright Bulbs for the dash.

Below is what I used:
6 Red Warning Lights - Hyper-brite Red -  #194HR
5 Dash Illumination - Hyper-brite Red - #194HR ( Whatever color you
want)
1 Amber Fuel Light - Hyper-Brite Amber - #194HA
3 Green Turn/Low Beam - Hyper-Brite White - #194HW
1 Blue High Beam - Hyper-Brite White - #194HW
 Note: the battery light or charge system will not work with the
LED, you must have the Load Equalizer installed. Once installed,
test it by starting the car, and unplug the small charge wire off
your Alternator. Your Battery Light should come on to signal a
failure.

Go to the photo section on how to remove the dash. On a difficulty
level between 1 and 5. (5 being the hardest) This would be a 2.
Remember there are no mods except the Load Equalizer.

Load Equalizer Installation:
This is very simple to install. The Load Equalizer comes with those
little piggy back clamps. Just jump the load equalizer to the Green
wire and the other to the Brown & yellow wire near the plug end. The
White connector is also marked #7 and #9 on the side of the plug.
Doesn't matter which end of the Load Equalizer you clamp to. You
will need pliers to squeeze the clamps. Then when you reinstall the
dash carefully tuck the Load Equalizer in the same area the plug
comes through. This is just so it is out of the way for installation.

Something important to remember!

The twist bases for the 194 bulb's can be installed 2 ways or 180
degrees. But the LED's can only be installed one direction.
When you install the LED's be sure you test them all before
installing the dash. If one doesn't light remove the base and rotate
it 180 degrees and it will come on.
The lambda and the fuel light are not that easy to test. Since you
can't force them to come on.

So do this: for example install the parking brake light. When you
have the right orientation that makes it light. Unplug the base and
move it up towards the Low Fuel light socket and install it, make
sure you keep the same rotation. Then do the same for the Lambda
Socket.
If you buy the mini 74 LED's for the Headlight and Hazard switch and
or the interior Dome lights, they have to be installed one way also.
The headlight and the Hazard switch are the only ones that will blow
a fuse if installed incorrectly. I know I went through a few fuses
before I figured it out.

Hope this helps
Mike
Vin 1113