[DML] Re: Automatic transmission

The cable affects the shift points that the trans shifts at. It is
basically telling the transmission shift computer the throttle
opening. Under higher power settings the trans is supposed to shift a
little later so the motor can rev up a little higher. The cable should
move freely. You should also check the kick-down circuit and switch.
It is located by the throttle spool and is activated by WOT (wide open
throttle). The switch can be bad or a wire can fall off or break. It
can also be out of adjustment so that at W.O.T the paddle is not
hitting the micro and activating the kick-down circuit. There are 2
switches there. One tells the Lambda to go "full on" and the other is
the kickdown. You should also make sure that the line pressure is
adjusted correctly and that the vacuum line to it is not leaking. If
you have ANY trouble with the automatic transmission I recomend doing
ALL the external on-car adjustments and check the fluid levels in BOTH
the trans and the final drive as per the Workshop Manual. Have your
mechanic disconnect the cable to the trans at both ends and make sure
it is that cable and not something else that is binding before
condeming the cable. Have someone hold the gas pedal all the way down
and make sure the throttle plates are open all the way and the 2
switches are being activated. Floor mats or carpet could interfere or
the linkage by the gas pedal could be bent preventing you from opening
the throttle all the way.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Roland Smith" <roland@xxxx> wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I have a problem with my automatic transmission not shifting down when I
> need to accelerate rapidly.  My mechanic has identified the problem
to be
> with the cable that controls the downshift in response to throttle
movement.