[DML] Re: engine swap with a chevy 283

Choice of engine for your swap aside (I'm not a Chevy guy), I
honestly think that your swap is a bad idea, because you're doing it
for the wrong reasons. To put it bluntly, your motor isn't running
right because of something YOU are doing. Idle speed is set
automaticly on the DeLorean electronicly. So your leaning out of the
fuel mixture isn't going to have any effect. Save for damaging your
engine, by running too hot of a combustion in the chambers. Even if
the Idle Speed Circuit was disabled/malfunctioning, you could still
set the idle manually using alternative means. NONE of which involve
tampering with the air/fuel mixture.

You've got a motor which seriously needs an adjustment (and probably
a new set of sparkplugs at this point too), so my best advice would
be to knuckle down, RTFM, and get the motor running properly, the
CORRECT way. Setting an idle & A/F is much simpler, and cheaper than
a motor swap.

And while I'm not going to bad mouth your mechnaic, I've no doubt
that he's fully in favor of this engine swap. After all, whom are you
going to be paying out a serious amount of cash to, in order to
perform this swap? If he has also performed these types of engine
swaps on other DeLoreans in the past, ask him for references from
those other owners first. Talk to those other owners, and ask then
what they thought of the end results, and why they did it?

You've got a challenge lying in front of you. Accept it, and conquer
it. If it's something that you can't, then there isn't anything wrong
with going to a mechanic to have it done for you. I'm just curious as
to why this mechanic can't set the idle & fuel mixture for you, with
his amount of previous "experience" with DeLoreans...

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "delorean3469" <delorean3469@xxxx>