[DML] Re: question about battery life

Battery life is a very complicated subject. It is dependant on many
variables from ambient temperature to the # of cyles to the charging
voltage, and on and on. Think of it like a cat. You know they have 9
lives but you never know which one they are currently on until they
are all gone. Batteries are a little better than that though. You can
use a load tester to get an approximate measure of capacity which
translates into remaining use. Age has A LOT to do with this. A 5 year
old battery with 50% capacity is gone where a 1 year old at 50% could
still be good for another year or two. It is "not a good thing" to
discharge a lead-acid battery flat. They will last a lot longer if you
never draw down below 50% charge. It also matters how long it is left
"flat". If it is recharged right away, SLOWLY, you will minimize the
damage. Of course if it froze when it was dead than it is now garbage.
A dead battery has plain water inside, not acid, and water will freeze
which warps the plates inside.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "supermattthehero" <supermatty@xxxx>