Re: [DML] Stereo System upgrade.

The console plate that the original Craig radio is mounted to is the old
style, when you open it up you will understand.
The center of the radio pokes though and the knobs come through little
holes.
All of the new radios now are "DIN" and much the same size (unless it is a
custom mount
like some of the GM's).
If you are skilled like a surgeon with a cutting tool, and can cut out the
panel leaving a 1/4" line
in-between the radio mount and the AC outlet, then you can modify yours at
no cost.
Most people are unsuccessful with it.
You can by the new reproduction plate from Houston for $150.00 that is a
stamped out
piece of Aluminum.
You will need to paint it black, I used a texturized BBQ grill paint for
mine and it looks great.
You may then simply slide your new radio in.

Next you will want a radio wire harness adapter, you can get one from me at
http://www.dfwdmc.com for $12.99.
This will allow you to plug in your new radio directly into the harness
without cutting into
your original wire harness.
This will also let you use all of your existing wires with out running new
ones.

You might want to replace your speakers because they are only 15 WATT, 6OHM
and you will
blow them with a new high powered stereo in about 10 seconds.
You need 3-1/2" for under the dash.
I recommend the Rockford Fozgates, you need to get speakers that are flush
on top with
no external tweeter.
Otherwise you will need to use washers or spacers to offset the speaker from
rubbing the
dash at the top.
The speaker is easy to get out, but a hassle to put back in.

The BACK speakers just SUCK.
They are 4x10's, hard to find and harder to get to.
You may want to just find the wires, cut them and put a few 6x9's in the
back wall.
There are a lot of speaker boxes out there that will fit on the back shelf
just fine,
but if you do something like that, you will need an AMP and you will want to
run it directly from
the battery, and you will also most likely want to upgrade your Alternator.
I recommend the 150 AMP BRUTE from John Hervey, http://www.specialtauto.com

That will do it!
- Videobob
VIN#5278